Walker Law is a diverse, dynamic, and successful award-winning commercial litigation law firm located in the heart of the financial district in downtown Toronto. We provide our clients with cost-effective legal solutions to various litigation disputes including employment, contract, construction and real property disputes.
What We Are Looking for:
Our dedicated and professional team is looking to add an experienced litigation lawyer, with a minimum of five years’ experience, who is looking for one-on-one mentorship with an elected Bencher of the Law Society of Ontario and certified specialist in civil litigation. This candidate will be provided with the ability to supplement their own files, administrative support, and the infrastructure to grow their practice. The ideal candidate has strong client relationship skills, is passionate about developing their practice, and possesses strong business acumen. We are flexible with the start date but preferably this candidate would start in September 2021.
Walker Law upholds a strict confidentiality policy to protect the privacy of all candidates so you can ensure a stress-free recruitment process.
What We Can Offer to You:
• Walker Law has developed a strong reputation among its competition, peers, and clients for being respectful and conscientious with practicing law.
• We offer competitive compensation packages with vacation and benefits after completing the probationary period.
• For candidates that have an established client base, renumeration will also be based on receivables from that client base.
• Lawyers have the ability to work from home and are offered flexible start and finish times.
• The candidate will have the opportunity to focus on a chosen practice area and develop his or her own practice group with the firm.
• After a year’s time, the candidate will undergo an assessment which may lead to partnership with the firm.
• Discretionary bonus pay based on performance and apportion of client receivables.
• Providing high quality legal services to clients;
• Representing clients at various proceedings including motions, applications, pre-trials, and trials;
• Conducting mediations and examinations for discovery/cross examinations;
• Ensure that clients are updated and aligned with legal strategy;
• Develop and maintain excellent client relationships, while gaining confidence and earning trust from clients’ and other professionals;
• Providing legal advice to current and deciding on the most appropriate strategy going forward;
• Offering advice on the law, legal procedures and a wide range of associated issues;
• Ensuring that docket entries are recorded or assigned to client files as per practice standards;
• Ensuring that professional conduct complies to Walker Law values and customer service principles;
• Draft motion/application records, affidavits, factum, mediation and pre-trial conference memorandums;
• Research and case history to ensure accuracy of advice and procedures;
• Represent clients in tribunals and in Courts where required;
• Overseeing and mentoring other team members such as paralegals, junior associates, and law clerks.
Skills and Experience:
• Ability to identify the most effective file strategy and manage multiple complex client files with minimal supervision;
• Ability to comprehend complex matters and identify the laws that are applicable to them;
• Ability to use initiative and exercise judgment in identifying issues needing immediate attention;
• Must possess a thorough knowledge of the legal procedures and committed to keeping updated with the current developments;
• Proficient in use of legal and productivity technology and must be able to maintain, update and modify documents needed for court presentations
• A desire to participate in business development opportunities through attending and/or joining appropriate networking events/memberships, participating in webinars and writing blogs;
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines and draft correspondence and legal documents;
• Strong administrative, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written), solid typing skills;
• Flexibility with respect to work hours on an as-needed basis.
• Candidate must be entrepreneurial and have their own files.
• Candidates must have a minimum of five years’ experience working in a civil litigation firm or the equivalent to five years’ experience.
• Candidates must be licenced and in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
• Candidates must possess a desire for excellence, passion for advocacy, and superior customer service skills.
• Deep appreciation and practical knowledge of the Rules of Professional Conduct, the Rules of Civil Procedure, and the Courts of Justice Act.
• G Drivers Licence is an asset.
• Past experience working at a reputable litigation law firm is an asset.
Preference will be given to candidates who provide copies of any public endorsements from court appearances. Interested candidates please submit your resume with your law school transcripts, a cover letter explaining why you believe that you are suitable for this position, and any relevant documents to [email protected]
At Walker Law, you will have an opportunity to work on files, gain hands-on experience, and interact with clients, while receiving coaching and supervision. Our focus is to ensure that our law students receive a comprehensive, well-rounded and rewarding learning experience while at Walker Law. We are committed to training students to become exceptional lawyers.
Walker Law typically hires one articling student per year. The qualities that we require without exception is a desire for excellence, a passion for advocacy, strong writing and analytical skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and excellent interpersonal skills. We value team members that are independent, confident, and who are committed to continued professional and self-development. You must be open to feedback and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Our articling program is focused on active student participation. As such, students are given a great deal of responsibility early on in their careers. Students can expect to:
• draft pleadings and facta;
• prepare motion materials;
• appear in court on unopposed matters;
• conduct legal research;
• participate in client meetings; and
• have carriage of small claims court matters.
We provide compensation that is competitive with small to mid-sized law firms in Toronto. Articling students who choose to join the firm after being licensed will receive reimbursement for their Bar Admission Course. Interviews will be conducted by videoconference and the articling student may have the option to work from home for all or part of his or her articling term.
For applications, please follow the recruitment guidelines prescribed by the Law Society of Ontario, and submit your resume, cover letter and copies of your law school transcripts via email to:
Attention: Marlie Annett and Tanya Walker
Walker Law Professional Corporation
1 Adelaide Street East, Suite 2501
Toronto, ON M5C 2V9
In addition to the articling students who join our firm as associates, Walker Law recruits promising young lawyers who have begun their careers at other firms or organizations and wish to have the litigation experience that Walker Law provides. We offer the opportunity to work alongside and learn highly regarded litigators. Like everyone at our firm, new associates sharpen their advocacy skills by getting as much experience as possible in the courtroom representing a diverse array of clients.
The qualities that we require without exception, are a desire for excellence, a passion for advocacy, a commitment to listening and serving our clients. We value associates that are independent, confident, skilled at time management and who are committed to continued professional and self-development. You must be open to feedback, mentoring others and being an active team member in face paced firm.
We provide compensation as well as benefits and perks that is competitive with large, national law firms in Toronto.
We’re always looking for talented, forward-thinking, positive individuals to provide administrative support. If you thrive in the fast pace of a busy law firm, keep up-to-date with changes in the industry, and take pride in delivering excellent customer service on tight deadlines – let us know.
We provide compensation as well as benefits that is competitive with large, national law firms in Toronto.